Friday, March 5, 2010

When to use Form 1040NR

If you meet one of the following conditions, you must file Form 1040NR as a non-resident. If you don't meet any of these conditions, you can also file the simpler Form 1040NR-EZ

- You are claiming dependents on your tax return – (residents of Canada , Mexico , Japan , Korea and students from India only)
- You do claim tax credits
- You claim an exemption for your husband or wife
- Your taxable income exceeds $100,000.00
- You are claiming itemized deductions including medical expenses, charitable contributions and unreimbursed employee expenses
- You owe any other type of taxes
- Your have worked as an independent contractor